Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cheap Acrylic Photography Table

I have been trying to improve the commercial useability of the stock photos that i am uploading to various microstock sites. So Over the holiday period i invested a small amount of money in a light box (81cm Ebay Brand) and some ghetto lights 2x20w Compact Fluorescents. I also liked the idea of shoot with an acrylic riser table, giving a nice white background and adding a reflection below the object.

Looking at various ones available on the internet I found them rather expensive for what they are. I looked at local hardware stores and found there prices for acrylic/plastic per sheet was pretty expensive. So what i ended up doing was drawing up a sketch and specifying the measurements (so that it would fit nicely in my light tent).

I then set about finding a local plastics manufacturer to see if they would make the table for me. After searching through the net and having no luck i went back to the analogue phone book. Success! I found someone to make it for me and for two thirds of the price of a similar table including labor. I can also get just about any color i want if i need it down the track.

For now i have a white acrylic photography table and set about testing it out the last few weeks (see results below). I will post photos of the table and measurements soon.

Results:

Fresh Ripe Cherries:























Barman's Friend / Bottle Opener:















Cordless Home Phone:


No comments: